Backsplashes too often, unfortunately, don’t make it to the top of the priority list of homeowners in the Shenandoah Valley area when renovating their kitchens. Backsplashes serve both functional and aesthetic purposes. They enable homeowners to protect walls from grease, water and foodstuffs while providing opportunities to make a unique design statement.
No one material is superior to other backsplash options. Material selection often depends on style preferences and ease of maintenance.
But here are the pros and cons of different backsplash materials:
Glass (Slabs or Tile)
- Easy to clean
- Resists heat and won’t be damaged from cooking
- Endless options – almost every color scheme, style and design is available in glass
- Customizable sizing
- Enhances illumination because of glass’ ability to reflect light
- Can be costly
- Glass mosaics may not have long-term staying or stylistic power
- May not be perceived as novel or unique
- Timeless look
- Unique – no two pieces of stone look the same
- Requires more effort to clean
- Some cleaning products could cause the stone to discolor
- Stones are naturally porous, which causes them to absorb water and stains. Therefore, stone needs to be resealed every two to three years or more often depending on the amount of cooking in your kitchen.
- What you see may not be what you get. Because no two pieces of stone are the same, the sample you see in the showroom will vary slightly from the stone that is shipped.
If you are looking for inspiration for the backsplash in your next kitchen project, then visit our Pinterest board for a few ideas we’ve collected.
What backsplash would enhance the look, feel and functionality of your new kitchen? Give us a call to discuss or make an appointment to visit us at 1930 Deyerle Avenue, Harrisonburg, VA.